Halloween is nearly here, so it’s only fitting that Strawberry Singh meme this week is The Halloween Meme! I tried to find something costume-y to wear for the pic, but this year I haven’t really bought any outfits that are Halloween related and I can’t afford to replenish the Linden supply for at least a couple weeks, so no shopping for me. Undaunted, I used the same costume finding method I have in RL: dig in the back of the closet and see what I can put together, and add wings. I think it turned out well considering that everything except the boots and hair is from 2008-2009.
Meme Instructions: Share a picture of your Halloween Costume in Second Life and/or answer the following questions about Halloween. Don’t forget to share a link to your post in the comments (on the original post) and if you share a picture, feel free to add it to the Blog Memes Flickr Group.
1. Did you go trick or treating as a child? ~ Yes, up through about 6th grade. We lived out in the country so my mom had to drive me to the tiny town we lived near so I could go door to door, and there were probably only about 15 or so houses to visit.
2. What was the best Halloween costume you ever saw or wore yourself? ~ I’ve seen lots of fun ones. Let’s see… I once saw a group of guys at a big Halloween festival dressed as the California Raisins back when that was a big thing, it took me forever to realize what they were because they were scattered all over the party. A guy I used to work with came to work on Halloween with a kitchen sink complete with faucets constructed around him, he said he was N’Sync. That same year my department tried to make our themed costumes really cheaply so we all bought the large pumpkin leaf bags and wore those, stuffed with whatever big puffy filling we could find. What we didn’t think of was that when we were all fully padded out it was kinda tough to sit at a desk and get close to your keyboard, lol.
3. What is your most vivid memory about Halloween?~ I remember being really upset one year when the Peanuts Halloween special was going to be on the same time that my mom was ready to take me out trick or treating. I just had to watch it every year, of course, so missing it was awful (obviously this was back in the pre-recording days) but it was either the Great Pumpkin or going out for candy. It was a very stressful decision for a six year old. In the end I went for the candy. It’s a choice that probably set the stage for the rest of my life…
4. What is the scariest movie you have ever seen? ~ I don’t watch a lot of horror movies, or maybe just not a lot of scary ones, so I’m not sure. As a kid I was freaked out watching some tv show about Bigfoot, where they reenacted a Bigfoot reaching through somebody’s window and grabbing at them as they sat on the couch. I didn’t want to sit on furniture under a window at night for years. Actually that still makes me a bit nervous. o.O
5. Do you ever get nightmares after watching a scary movie? ~ When I was a kid I probably did, but these days, no. Horror movies, or books and creepypastas don’t give me nightmares.
6. Are you superstitious? If so, name at least one superstition of yours. ~ Generally no, although I probably have little habits that are based in some superstition or other that many people would find silly.
7. What will you be doing for Halloween this year, if anything, in SL and RL? ~I don’t have anything planned in SL, I’ll just try to visit some more Halloween places and sightsee. In RL I will try to set aside some time to have a little personal Samhain ritual, but for the Halloween portion of the week we probably won’t do much except light the pumpkins. We never see kids walk down our street because almost every house on our block keeps the lights off, so I don’t think trick or treaters think it’s worthwhile to even turn the corner. For the past couple of years we stopped buying bags of candy that we’d have to finish off ourselves, that’s definitely better for my diet. Of course now that I think about it a bag of tiny chocolate bars sounds really good.
Okay, now I’m thinking about candy. *Sigh*
Happy Halloween week, everybody 😀