I’d love to be a science nerd, I was thinking about that last night as I wandered around the solar system. I’ve never given a lot of thought to where I fall in the whole geeks vs nerds debate, but I always felt nerdy in school. I was a bookworm, and socially awkward doesn’t begin to describe me… socially backward, maybe? Does that incorporate elements of dorkiness? Ah, who knows. I’m just content to follow my interests without worrying too much about the labels.
I may not know quite what to call myself but I’ll give the Geeky Meme a shot. The instructions from Strawberry Singh:
Meme Instructions: Create an image depicting what you consider to be geeky/nerdy/dorky and/or answer the following questions! Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments and if you do a picture for this meme, feel free to share it in the blog memes flickr group.
- What do you consider yourself to be? Geek? Nerd? Dork? None of the above? All of the above? – I imagine people would describe me as being geeky, because some of my hobbies/interests do fall into traditionally geeky areas. The hub and I were both always big tech enthusiasts, but I’m not sure it’s really ever reached geek level enthusiasm.
- What was the first computer you ever owned? – I think it was a Tandy 1000. No modem. I had taken BASIC classes at college so I’d sit and write silly little programs to entertain myself.
- When and how did you first get on the internet? – AOL, once I got my second computer that actually had a modem. Exciting! I can still hear that sound when it finally connected.
- Which geek fandom do you subscribe to? – I’ve always been more likely to fangirl over music rather than traditionally geeky fandoms. I do really like Tolkien, Star Trek, Dr. Who, and Babylon 5, among other things, but I’d never claim to be a part of a fandom because I don’t have that level of dedication. Actually devoted fandoms often put me off, too many of them seem to be plagued by drama, and filled with folks who believe that unless you have precise, encyclopedic knowledge of a subject you don’t have the right to say you are a fan. Yikes. I’m happier just enjoying what I enjoy, and not worrying if I fit into any fan groups.
- Star Trek or Star Wars? – I really like them equally. I was a huge Star Trek fan from about 6th grade on, then a year later Star Wars came out and I was hooked on that too.
- How Geeky Are You? – 81% (~^_^)~
pic @ the Oceania Planetary Park observatory